Cannot checkout...

Hi guys... First, I do appreciate your work and passion for improvement, so, please don’t get me wrong.
But the recent changes are worse then useless and add absolutely not needed complication. (I don’t mind the ads, and the need of payment, if such is the matter, because I believe every work should be rewarded). But it took me about an hour to browse your blog, twitter, all support pages, forum topics and what not some external links dealing with the change, and I’m still not able to check out the repository where I do have writing permissions :(
For the general info:
- I do not use https.
- I do not have an option in the “source control” of enabling it. (the page is blank and all that it says is “Project does not have any source control configured/enabled”).
- I do not connect through proxy.
- I’m trying to connect with TortoiseSVN.
- The project was created yesterday, so this is not a migration issue.

I went through the tutorial explaining how to connect to the repository and I believe I’m entering the correct URL for it. (But I’m not sure, and there’s no way to know).
'http://svn.xp-dev.com/svn/exemplars'
here it probably is, if this may help.
I then read all the info in support pages and topics that looked somewhat similar to my problem in this forum.
No go, I’m getting “forbidden” status, and I have not a faintest idea on what is causing it, but that’s not my provider / internet connection because I can check in my other project hosted here as well.

Now, I cannot browse the project because I don’t know where it is... It is never shown in any of the pages, not dashboard, neither account...
Well, maybe I am stupid, but I do also work with people using googlecode and sourceforge and other private SVN servers, and I had no problem connecting there...
I really don’t want to see the commits diagram ever, I’m not interested in that... the project is a small thing shared by two developers me being one of them, so, I don’t also want the bug-tracking / ticketing system and such... they are handy, but, honestly, that’s not why I’m using the repository. I just want the checkout link... Why make things so difficult?

Please, tell me I’m dumb and missing something obvious. It’s late here, so it’s possible that I came across this link and haven’t noticed it. Because I keep running in a loop from one support page to another, and it doesn’t take me any closer to what I’m after...
I know it may be frustrating hearing such feedback. I just hope this will be used for improvement.

Best.

Oleg

Forum Topic Options

Feeds

Forum Topic and Comments

rs on Sun 04 Oct, 2009

I do not have an option in the “source control” of enabling it.

You need to be the project owner so that the option to enable source control is shown

rs on Sun 04 Oct, 2009

Why would anyone want to give me writing permissions to his project if he didn’t want me to be able to check it out?

Because a project writer is not a project administrator. If writers were given admin rights to create repositories, then they will naturally have the permission to delete repositories as well.

Here at xp-dev.com, if you can do a certain action, then you can undo it as well.

So, as a project owner, he/she should enable/disable the repository, and you as a writer should be able to modify the repository contents, i.e. check things out and update and delete and whatever else.

Remember that enabling/disabling a repository is entirely different from looking or even changing its contents.

rs on Sun 04 Oct, 2009

In a nutshell, you will be able to check it out once the owner creates the repository. Projects do not have repositories by default.

rs on Mon 05 Oct, 2009

Your write permissions gives access to modify things in the repository once its created. Creation and deletion can only be done by the owners as these are risky operations that alter the project entirely. I could add an “administrator” role along with writers in the future, but for now the only “administrator” is the owner.

You do not have sufficient permissions to comment