svnsync - how to mirror to xp-dev?

I am trying to to use xp-dev.com as a read-only backup for our main SVN repository.

I intend to do this with svnsync, and I have read plenty of sites describing how to do this (http://www.xp-dev.com/blog/551/making-your-own-subversion-backups) but I still seem to be missing a key piece of information. Where do I type the svnsync init .... command???? Can I ssh into xp-dev and type svnsync form shell?

I do not have shell access to the master SVN server, so I am hoping that there is a way for me to issue svnsync from xp-dev. I am also working from a Windows computer, so I mainly interact with SVN repositories through TortoiseSVN.

Any pointers would be much appreciated!

Forum Topic Options

Feeds

Forum Topic and Comments

rs on Thu 19 Nov, 2009

You run the init command from your own desktop/server — you don’t need to access the repository physically on the SVN server

rs on Fri 20 Nov, 2009

You can do it by clicking on Edit Repository under your Source Control tab (need to be the project owner to see that option). There is an option that says something like “allow pre revision property changes” - just turn that on and click on Save.

However, I would need to ask you – what exactly are you trying to do ? Use xp-dev.com as a mirror of your repository (i.e. the destination), or you want to mirror xp-dev.com (i.e. use is as the source) ?

rs on Sat 21 Nov, 2009

Right... so you’re using xp-dev.com as a backup (i.e. destination) :) In that case, follow the instructions I gave earlier:

You can do it by clicking on Edit Repository under your Source Control tab (need to be the project owner to see that option). There is an option that says something like “allow pre revision property changes” - just turn that on and click on Save.

And you should be able to run svnsync init againts the xp-dev.com repository to populate it with the revision property changes.

You do not have sufficient permissions to comment